How do I earn money with music? Every musician asks themselves this question at some point. Few receive an answer in the form of a career in music.
This course gives you all the answers you need to succeed as a professional musician.
Musician as Entrepreneur: Band as Business features over 5.5 hours of insightful video interviews with 70 of the top music business minds. We won't bore you with lectures. We offer only practical, specific, real-world advice from the likes of Jimmy Iovine, Glen Ballard, Irv Gotti, Jerry Moss, Martin Atkins, Ray Parker Jr., Randy Newman, Don Passman, Dave Stewart, Wayne Kramer and Lawrence Lessig, to name just a few.
Alongside the video, in-depth PDF lesson guides are provided to steer you through the course. Each section covers a critical component of the music career, and you'll find a book's worth of material to pore through. We also list additional online resources from Artists House so you can dive deeply into your area of interest.
The purpose of this course is to help musicians make money by understanding that the music they write, record and perform creates business and legal rights that will help them create sustainable careers. It’s practical, it’s philosophical, and it’s determined to help you, the musician, and you the music entrepreneur, understand the legal foundations and business opportunities inherent in doing what you love.
- How to think: Understand musicians, bands, and performing artists as businesses and the best practices available for their sustainability.
- How to know: Understand excellence in respect of the production processes and the specific legal and business consequences of a musician’s creative work.
- How to share: Understand the process and consequences of publishing, sharing, giving, licensing, distributing, selling, and marketing opportunities in respect of the creative work of the musician and the performing artist.
- The way forward: Understand the processes for sustainability and continuity, the availability and role of online resources and outsourcing, and the importance of personal development and business growth.
What You Will Learn!
- Understand why musicians and artists are small business entrepreneurs
- Understand that writing songs, recording, and performing music makes provides you with economic and legal rights from which revenue flows
- Understand possible business entities and the legalities of group issues
- Understand the importance of developing a strategic approach to your businesses by setting goals and making and implementing plans
- Understand the aesthetic and technical issues of composition, songwriting, recording, and performing
- Understand the business and legal issues of composition, songwriting, recording, and performing
- Understand marketing and promotion in terms of shared values, conversations, and permission marketing
- Understand distribution platforms, how distribution follows marketing
- Understand licensing and how to allow others to use your rights
- Understand crowd sourcing
- Understand the importance of getting and retaining customers and the importance of data, research, and networking to make it possible to improve in all areas.
- Understand that music is a part of a larger, multi-faceted “Creative Life”
- Understand the importance of follow through, continuity, making and implementing plans
- Understand what it takes to create a sustainable career in the creative arts
Who Should Attend!
- Beginners and young musicians who want to understand how the music business works and where they fit into it
- Anyone interested in a career in music
- Any musician, amateur or professional, looking for ways of making more money making music
- Professional musicians and bands who want to move to the next level
- Music teachers on all educational levels
- Parents of children considering a career in music
TAKE THIS COURSE